A Light-stalking, beauty catching, adventure-seeking Educational Photo-Tour over the Spring Festival Weekend in Magoebaskloof!
Come Join Us!
On this Educational Photo-tour you will explore the entire area surrounding Magoebaskloof and all that it has to offer. We will visit stalls in village green, the orchid show at the Spring Festival, Azaleas in full bloom, Cheerio Gardens, waterfalls, manicured gardens, a cemetery, pine and indigenous and pine forests, tree-lined gravel roads and many birds!
This is our third trip exploring the Magoebaskloof and the area surrounding it. It really is quite beautiful and not to be missed !
SOLO TRAVELERS ARE WELCOME
22-26 September 2021.
Early booking is advisable to avoid disappointment.
- The first day of each tour is a travel day only with a ‘meet and greet’ dinner that evening.
- There are four days of eight hours on average of photography instruction.
- The tour ends at 14h00 on the final day – but with the late nights and early mornings of the first three days – this time is made up.
What is offered photographically?
A detailed itinerary is sent to all secured bookings closer to the start date of the tour.
- Landscapes along the back roads
- Exposure and how to balance light in Manual Mode
- Shutter Speed workshop including how to use a Neutral Density Filter*
- How to balance ambient and tungsten light at dusk in the ‘blue light’.
- Depth of field workshop in the pine forests
- Understanding how to use a Polarising Filter*
- Night Skies and Painting with light
- Macro in an Organic Veggie Garden
- Making friends with your tripod and understanding its value to your journey as a photographer
- The importance of good composition using your foreground, middleground and background.
- How to use long roads as leading lines
- Working with colour blocking on the abundance of spring flowers
- How to handle all different types of light and how it reacts to natural elements such as dust
- Movie night and feedback on images
- Understanding negative spaces in a graveyard
*we have these filters available for loan and sale on the tour – in all sizes.
Who are the photographic instructors?
- Peter Hassall (National President of SA Pro-Photographers with 35 years experience). Peter Hassall will only join if there are more than 8 bookings
- Leanne Dryburgh (Western Cape Manager of SA Pro-Photographers with 27 years experience).
What photographic skills are required?
Leanne will take the entry level photographers and Peter will take the advanced photographers. You are welcome to swap groups during the tour if you feel you would benefit more from the other group. The groups will be together on excursions.
Who is the Tour aimed at?
- Photography enthusiasts, hobbyist and travel photographers.
- Students studying Visual Art, any form of Media, videography or photography and who require an internship or portfolio.
- Solo travellers wanting to have an experience in a safe and fun environment.
- Couples wanting to explore a hobby together.
Are partners and non-photographers welcome?
Yes at the same price as photographers.
How many photographers do you take?
- A minimum of ten and maximum of twenty photographers per tour.
- As there are 2 photographers instructing so you will be in a group of between 5 and 10 photographers only throughout the tour.
Where does the Photo-Tour take place?
On this tour we are based at on a farm on the outskirts of Magoebaskloof. We have done this tour for 3 years now and know the know the area well – as well as the incredibly special places to stop for photographs in the surrounding areas and along the best back roads.
What does the tour cost?
1) Photography instruction:
The full price of the tour is R5500.00 (An average of R1375.00 per day for the photography instruction on a large variety of canvasses – with Accredited Pro Photographer/s).
An average of 8-10 hours of instruction is given each day.
- Take off 10% if you have been on a Photo-Tour with thephotowalkers.com before or have completed a Challenge. *No discounts apply while a promotional offer is running.
- Take off 5% if you are an active club member of the PSSA.
These discounts do not apply if any specials are running.
Through the years we have learnt that everyone has their own accommodation needs and therefore we do not include it in the tour price.
We do however highly recommend that you stay on the same farm as the photographers and the rest of the group as we do early morning and late night workshops on and around the farm. This also allows for idle chit-chat between workshops with the photographers and other group members. In past years we have had photographers that have stayed on other locations – and with the group being on a farm it has been difficult for them to get to the early morning and late night workshops.
We outsource an Accommodation Booking Team who do their best to find the most suitable accommodation for you – at the most suitable price.
The accommodation includes breakfast and and two dinners allowing nighttime workshops, movie night and feedback on images and our famous quiz night which is loads of fun! We have lunch in the surrounding small towns between workshops.
These prices are based on estimates* – the actual price is dependent on room type availability at the time of your booking- and the numbers that book for the tour.
- The estimated price per person per night sharing is: R1050.00
- The estimated price per single person per night is: R1250.00
If you are a solo-traveller and don’t mind sharing with someone similar to you in twin beds – please let us know and and our booking team will try our best to help you.
If you would like to arrive a day before the tour or stay after the tour – our team can arrange and book that accommodation for you too.
If you are travelling to Johannesburg from out of town – please let us know if you would like us to help you book accommodation preferably near Rosebank in Johannesburg for the night of the 20th of September. See below for advised flight times and free airport transfers.**
thephotowalkers.com are offering shared transport from Johannesburg. It’s by far the nicest way to do the tours and it’s good fun too!
The shared transport will depart from Johannesburg from 08h00 on the 22nd of September and return to Johannesburg at roughly 16h00 on the 26th of September. It will pick you up and drop you off at your home / accommodation (within reason) – or en-route to Magoebaskloof.
The price of this service is excluded and is estimated at between R1600 and R1900 per person – depending on the number of people in the bus. It is calculated a week before departure and is invoiced.
**If you are travelling to OR Tambo International on the 22nd of September we will pick you up at about 15h00. Please make sure your plane lands by 14h30 the latest. At the end of the tour we will drop you off at the airport at around 16h30 – for flights departing from 18h00 on the 26th of September. These airport transfers are included in the price.
You are welcome to self drive – the meeting time and location will be sent to all confirmed bookings.
4) Optional extras:
5) Logistics and Management Fee: R500.00 per person
We outsource a company that co-ordinates all booking details, dietary requirements, activities etc. to create a photography experience that is exciting, interesting and hassle free!
We will refund you the R1000.00 deposit which secures each place 10 weeks before the tour – when the second payment is due. (See **Payments below).
Price and Payment Policy:
The full price of tour is R5500.00 (An average of R1375.00 per day for the photography instruction from dusk to dawn – on a large variety of canvasses – with Accredited Pro Photographer/s ).
There is one free travel day before the tour.
What is excluded?
- Camera equipment.
- A tripod is essential (you are welcome to hire one for the weekend at R200.00).
- Meals (other than breakfast if your accommodation offers it) and refreshments.
- Personal or additional travel on the shared transport.
- Any expenses of a personal nature.
What is included?
- Tea, coffee, sugar etc. will be supplied by thephotowalkers.com to everyone staying in self catering.
- Olympus Mirrorless Cameras and Lenses to try.
- Sigma Art, Zoom, Sport and Macro lenses with both a Nikon and Canon Mount to try.
- Neutral density and polarising filters to learn to use and to try.
- Access to a basic medical aid kit.
How do I book?
Simply click on the ‘BOOKINGS & ENQUIRIES’ button towards the top of the page. There are drop-downs that prompt you to tell us what accommodation requirements you require and if you would like to share transport . You will then receive an email with all of the relevant details.
What if I have a question?
- Call or WhatsApp Leanne on 083 293 7208.
- Email Jeanne at firstname.lastname@example.org.
What should I wear or bring?
- In order to achieve the most from the Accredited South African Professional Photographer, a camera body with a manual mode function is recommended. However, all makes of cameras and cell phones are welcome.
- A tripod is essential (in the event that you do not own a tripod you are welcome to hire one from thephotowalkers.com at a cost of R200.00 for the duration of the tour). Pre-booking is essential.
- Head torches for the evenings.
- Comfortable clothing and walking shoes are recommended.
- Please bring a second pair of closed shoes – as we will photograph near water and your shoes may get wet.
- Wind breakers come in handy for photographing at dusk and dawn and pockets are useful. thephotowalkers.com will communicate with you closer to the date of departure should there any be any inclement weather expected that would encourage additional items of clothing that are not typical.
How fit do I need to be?
You need to be able to walk short distances with your camera equipment.
What if I have to cancel?
On the photography instruction:
- Cancellations within 1 month of the tour: No refund will be issued.
- Cancellations more than 1 month before the tour: 50% refund will be issued on any monies paid to date.
On the Accommodation and the Transport:
Once these have been paid they are non-refundable. However the logistics and management team will do their best to find someone to ‘buy’ your accommodation from you.
The logistics and management fee:
This fee covers all of your bookings and logistics and is only payable once you have confirmed. Therefore if you have to cancel once it has been paid – it is non-refundable as the work for your booking would have been done.
What if thephotowalkers.com has to cancel?
In the event that thephotowalkers.com has to cancel the tour for any reason whatsoever, a full refund will be issued on all expenses paid to date.
By booking this Photo-Tour, you agree to be bound by thephotowalkers.com indemnity terms and conditions. thephotowalkers.com, its staff, employees, suppliers and partners will not be held responsible for loss, injury, death or damage including consequential loss of any nature whatsoever while on the tour, in the shared transport, in the accommodation or during an activity. By booking this tour, you understand and accept this. thephotowalkers.com will do their best to avoid any circumstances that may lead to the above.
Intellectual Property and Confidentiality:
By booking this tour you understand, accept and agree that any information given as well as any service providers, locations, workshops, partners, techniques or any part of the tour whatsoever is the Intellectual Property of The Photowalkers (t/a thephotowalkers.com).