Stone Town & Zanzibar (21-29 July 2021)
(Optional Add-ons to The Cape, Botswana or the Masai Mara)
We visit the original fishing town that developed into Stone Town and explore the island of Zanzibar.
On this tour not only will you explore Stone Town and the island of Zanzibar – you will learn about the incredibly interesting history and the people that live there today as a result.
We will experience this wonderful island where we’ll be visiting Spice Farms, Museums, Tropical Forests, Small Villages, Craftsmen, Local Food & Fish Markets, Harbours and life on the Back Roads.
Come Join Us!
SOLO TRAVELLERS ARE WELCOME: We have managed to keep the Solo Rate at just 10%
21-29 July 2021
- Early booking is advisable to avoid disappointment.
- There is a minimum of 8 people and a maximum of 16. The closing date of the tour is 16 April.
- See below for deposit details to secure as well as price and payment terms.
Who is the tour aimed at?
- Anyone who wants to explore Zanzibar with added local and back road experiences.
- Solo travellers and travelling partners/friends: Anyone looking for a fun and inspiring adventure.
- Foodies: People who are interested in fresh food, spices and cooking.
- Lovers of Culture and History: Zanzibar and Stone Town have incredible history that we will explore and learn about. We will also visit where Freddie Mercury was born.
- *Photographers: All skills levels. Anyone requiring some guidance on how to take better photos while travelling
- Anyone looking for a Beach Holiday: The majority of this tour we are based on a private beach resort for our tour only. While you are not exploring, learning or adventuring you can walk, swim, snorkel or simply soak it all up!
PLEASE NOTE: Zanzibar inafurahisha (Swahili for Zanzibar is Fascinating!)
*At every stop you will feel compelled to photograph Italy so you can take the memories home. Leanne is there to help you take the best photos that you can with whatever camera you have, ranging from a cell phone right through to a Pro Camera. Leanne is fluent in the mechanics in all makes of camera and phones and has many years experience as a professional photographer.
This is an optional service and she will help you at any level that you would like.
Itinerary and Travel Details:
A detailed itinerary is sent to all secured bookings.
- 2 nights in a hotel in Stone Town starting with a traditional welcome dinner during sunset on the sea shores, watching the fishing boats come in and pack up for the nights’ fishing.
- Guided historical tour of Stone Town followed by dinner at the famous Stone Town Night Market.
- 5 nights at a private beach resort.
- A wonderful day with the ocean (which is flat and warm) where we go on an Authentic wooden fishing boat, stop over on Prison Island, onto a sand bank where you can swim, snorkel, relax and enjoy an incredible beach braai/barbeque.
- Guided and educational visits to a spice farm, a turtle rescue centre, forests with rare and wild monkeys.
- Time in a local village visiting clinics, schools and sport fields.
- Visiting all of the local fish, food, fabric and spice markets.
- Visits to local craft centres.
- Swahili cooking class.
What does the tour cost?
Please use the Currency Convertor to find the price in your currency from USD.
Please see below for ‘Additional Add-ons’.
What is included?
- 2 nights in Stone Town and 5 nights at a Private Beach resort that is booked out for our tour only.
- 3/4 star accommodation including breakfast.
- Airport transfers for flights landing in Stone Town/collection at ferry for flights landing in Dar es Salaam.
- All transport during the tour.
- Entrance fees included in the itinerary.
- Full day island hopping and incredible seafood braai/barbeque on a sandbank in the middle of the ocean.
- Guides and photographers.
- A fabulous Swahili cooking class.
What is excluded?
- International flights and visas.
- Lunches, dinners and refreshments.
- Any items of a personal nature or additional activities.
- Emergency evacuation or transport out of the itinerary.
International travel is excluded from the price of the tour.
The flights below are for clients booking from South Africa – if you are travelling internationally, please try and land in Zanzibar by 12h00 on Friday 16 July the latest, so that you are part of the orientation, welcome and introduction at 15h30. This allows time to travel from the airport, check in, unpack and have a bite of lunch.
Fly directly to Zanzibar:
Tuesday 20 July:
(You will have to depart JNB a day earlier to catch the ferry* from the Main land to the Island.)
SAA flight number SA 186. Depart OR Tambo (JNB) 10h30 arrive Julius Nyerere International (DAR) 14h50 SUBJECT TO CHANGE
Thursday 29 July:
SAA flight number SA 187. Depart Julius Nyerere International (DAR) 15h35 arrive OR Tambo (JNB) 18h10 SUBJECT TO CHANGE
To Book the ferry between Dar Es Salaam and Zanzibar:
Please prebook your tickets online via this link – https://www.zanzibarquest.com/ferries-flights/ferry-dar-es-salaam-zanzibar.html
Do I need travel insurance?
Adequate travel insurance is compulsory for this tour.
- Make sure that you have comprehensive travel insurance that covers thephotowalkers.com cancellation policies (see below) and your international flight’s cancellation policies (ask your airline when booking).
- We recommend that you have your camera gear and laptop insured for damage and loss. thephotowalkers.com will not be held liable for any loss or damage under any circumstances.
How do I book?
Simply click on the ‘BOOKINGS & ENQUIRIES’ button towards the top of the page. There are drop-downs that prompt you to tell us which accommodation requirements you need and included are our banking details for transfer. Once we have received your deposit, we will send an email with details on booking flights so that you can book early – as well as the detailed itinerary, what to wear and what to bring.
What if I have a question?
- Call or WhatsApp Leanne on 083 293 7208.
- Email Jeanne at email@example.com.
Visas, inoculations and malaria:
- Please check if you require a visa to travel to Tanzania and if you require any inoculations.
- Tanzania is a malaria area. We are travelling there in the cooler winter months when the mosquitos are less – but should you prefer to take medical precautions please check with your doctor or local travel clinic as these need to be administered before travel commences.
What should I wear and bring?
- Dress for a beach holiday that can get cool in the evenings.
- Swimming costumes and beach attire.
- Comfortable walking shoes are a must.
How fit do I need to be?
You need to be able to walk short distances.
If you are travelling to the African Continent for the tour – why not stay and explore the Beautiful Cape or go on a Safari in The Okavango Delta in Botswana, the Masai Mara and Vic Falls?
These can be recreational tours/holidays on your own or Photo-Tours with thephotowalkers.com
The Cape Town based add-on includes:
Flights from Dar Es Salaam to Cape Town, one free night at the Cape Town Waterfront on the 24th, all transport in an air-conditioned bus during the tour, all accommodation with breakfast, a qualified tour guide and registered bus driver as well as all entrance fees.
A Professional Photographer to guide and teach is an optional extra for all or part of the tour. This will be beneficial if you want to be taken to all of the best locations for photography in the best light for that location.
The Safari add-on includes:
Flights from Dar Es Salaam to Botswana or the Mara, one free night in Stone Town on the 24th. Professional safari guides, accommodation, all meals and refreshments plus two safaris a day in an open safari vehicles.
A Professional Photographer will accompany you for all, part or none of the tour. That’s up to you! This is an optional extra should you wish to leave with the best wildlife photos that you can.
Friends or family are welcome to join for these add-ons.
9 days/8 nights Additional Add-ons: 30 July – 07 August options:
- Experience all of Cape Town, a day trip to Hermanus for Whale Watching and a day trip to Stellenbosch for Wine Tasting.
- Nights of 30, 31, 1st in Cape Town; 2nd travel via Stellenbosch to Hermanus for Whale Watching; 3, 4, 5 and 6th of August explore the Garden Route including Plettenberg bay, Knysna and more.
- On safari in the Masai Mara or the Okavango Delta in Botswana.
14 days/ 13 nights Additional Add-ons : 30 July – 12 August options:
- Nights of 30, 31, 1, 2, 3, 4th in Cape Town; 5th in Stellenbosch, 6th in Hermanus; 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, and 12th exploring the Garden Route including Plettenberg bay, Knysna and more.
- Nights of 30, 31, 1st in Cape Town; 2nd in Stellenbosch, 3rd in Hermanus; 4, 5, 6th exploring the Garden Route, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11th on Safari in Addo Elephant Park.
- 30, 31, 1, 2, 3, 4, 5th August on safari in the Masai Mara or the Okavango Delta in Botswana. 6, 7, 8th cruising on a luxury boat on the Chobe River 9, 10, 11th August stay in Livingstone and explore the Vic Falls area.
Please indicate which of the above you would like quotes on in the booking form.
Duty Free Allowance:
- 250g of cigarettes, cigars and tobacco (combined weight).
- 1 litre of spirits or wine.
- 500ml of perfume and eau de toilette, of which no more than a quarter may be perfume.
What if I have to cancel?
- Cancellations within 3 months of the tour: No refund will be issued.
- Cancellations more than 3 months before the tour: 50% refund will be issued on any monies paid to date – less costs incurred (accommodation cancellation policies will be applicable).
What if thephotowalkers.com has to cancel?
In the event that thephotowalkers.com has to cancel the tour for any reason whatsoever, a full refund will be issued on all monies paid to date.
Although every possible care is taken to safeguard you and your property, no company involved in this tour accepts responsibility for any accident, injury, illness or death incurred during or arising from any tour, or loss or damage to clients property during a tour. We strongly advise you take out Good Travel Insurance for yourself and your property before the start of the tour.
No company involved will be held responsible for any expenses or loss of tour days resulting from changes in flight schedules, delays or loss of baggage by international air carriers or local air charter companies.
By booking this Photo-Tour, you agree to be bound by thephotowalkers.com indemnity terms and conditions. thephotowalkers.com, its staff, employees, suppliers and partners will not be held responsible for loss, injury, death or damage including consequential loss of any nature whatsoever while on the tour, in the shared transport, in the accommodation or during an activity. By booking this tour, you understand and accept this. thephotowalkers.com will do their best to avoid any circumstances that may lead to the above.
Intellectual Property and Confidentiality:
By booking this tour, you understand, accept and agree that any information given as well as any service providers, locations, workshops, partners, techniques or any part of the tour whatsoever is the Intellectual Property of The Photowalkers (t/a thephotowalkers.com).