There is magic to experience and photograph in this Dry Country!
On this Photo-tour you will discover the unsurpassed beauty of the Karoo and the people that live in it through its back roads and small towns. We will explore the small Karoo Towns and we go when there is little to no moon so you can get the best views of the night skies. This is a photographic experience that you don’t want to miss.
With many years of experience behind the lens and an intimate knowledge of the area, our photographers are able to offer photo-tours that are in a league of their own. Come Join Us!
SOLO TRAVELERS ARE WELCOME
03 – 07 November 2021
Early booking is advisable to avoid disappointment.
- The first day of each tour is a travel day only with a ‘meet and greet’ dinner that evening.
- There are four days of eight hours on average of photography instruction.
- The tour ends at 18h00 on the final day – but with the late nights and early mornings of the first three days – this time is made up.
What is offered photographically?
- Landscapes along the dry and barren Karoo back roads.
- Shutter Speed workshops on waterfalls.
- Architecture on buildings from ‘way-back-when’.
- Broken and dilapidated ruins.
- Stars and Star Trails in Sutherland.
- Painting with light.
- Environmental portraiture in Matjiesfontein.
- Animal portraiture on donkeys.
- Macro workshop on cactuses and aloes.
- Exposure and how to balance light in Manual Mode.
- Shutter Speed workshop including how to use a Neutral Density Filter*.
- Depth of field workshop.
- Understanding how to use a Polarising Filter*.
- Making friends with your tripod and understanding its value to your journey as a photographer.
- The importance of good composition using your foreground, middle ground and background.
- How to use long, winding roads as leading lines in landscape photography.
- How to handle all different types of light and how it reacts to natural elements such as dust.
*we have these filters available for loan and sale on the tour – in all sizes.
Who are the photographic instructors?
- Peter Hassall (National President of SA Pro-Photographers with 35 years experience). Peter Hassall will only join if there are more than 8 bookings
- Leanne Dryburgh (Western Cape Manager of SA Pro-Photographers with 27 years experience).
What photographic skills are required?
Leanne will take the entry level photographers and Peter will take the advanced photographers. You are welcome to swap groups during the tour if you feel you would benefit more from the other group. The groups will be together on excursions.
Who is the Tour aimed at?
- Photography enthusiasts, hobbyist and travel photographers.
- Students studying Visual Art, any form of Media, videography or photography and/or who require an internship or portfolio.
- Solo travellers who want to have an experience in a safe and fun environment.
- Couples who want to explore a hobby together.
Are partners and non-photographers welcome?
Yes at the same price as photographers.
How many photographers do you take?
- A minimum of ten and maximum of twenty photographers per tour.
- As there are 2 photographers instructing so you will be in a group of between 5 and 10 photographers only throughout the tour.
What if you don’t reach the minimum number?
We will refund you the R1000.00 deposit that secures each place 10 weeks before the tour – when the second payment is due. (See **Payments below).
Where does the Photo-Tour take place?
This tour takes place in Prince Albert and Sutherland. We travel to the small Karoo Towns form there.
What does the tour cost?
1) Photography instruction:
The full price of the tour is R5500.00 (An average of R1375.00 per day for the photography instruction on a large variety of canvasses – with Accredited Pro Photographer/s ).
An average of 8-10 hours of instruction is given each day.
- Take off 10% if you have been on a Photo-Tour with thephotowalkers.com before or have completed a Challenge. *No discounts apply while a promotional offer is running.
- Take off 5% if you are an active club member of the PSSA.
These discounts do not apply if any specials are running
- There is self catering accommodation for the first 3 nights in Prince Albert.
- R600.00 per person per night for single occupancy
- R450.00 per person per night sharing
- The last night in Sutherland is bed and breakfast
- R850.00 per person per night for single occupancy
- R750.00 per person per night sharing
- We offer shared transport, which includes a quantum (or similar) with a driver who has a PDP licence. Should it be necessary, the driver will help with your bags too.
- Shared transport allows for photography chit chat and is by far the nicer way to take the tour.
Full shared transport: R1950.00 per person. (Based on 8 people sharing)
- 3rd of November: (additional travel day)
- Depart from Hermanus 11h00
- Pick up at CT International Airport 12h30
- (if there are no airport pick ups- we will depart from Hermanus at 13h00)
- 7th of November:
- Drop off at CT International airport at 16h00
- Drop off in Hermanus 18h00
Half shared transport: R850.00 per person. (Based on 8 people sharing)
- Includes transport during the tour (so self drive to Prince Albert and leave your car there and join the ‘photography bus’ on the day trips)
You are welcome to self drive.
4) Logistics and Management Fee: R500.00 per person
We outsource a company that co-ordinates all booking details, dietary requirements, activities etc to create a photography experience that is exciting, interesting and hassle free!
We will refund you the R1000.00 deposit which secures each place 10 weeks before the tour – when the second payment is due. (See **Payments below).
Price and Payment Policy:
The full price of tour is R5500.00 (An average of R1375.00 per day for the photography instruction from dusk to dawn – on a large variety of canvasses – with Accredited Pro Photographer/s).
There is one free travel day before the tour.
What is excluded?
- Camera equipment.
- A tripod is essential (you are welcome to hire one for the weekend at R200.00).
- Photographic activities. (This list will be given to all confirmed participants – they are an optional extra).
- Lunches – all refreshments, beverages and snacks.
- All meals in Prince Albert. Bring your own breakfast, lunch will be on the road and dinners on own at restaurants or in your cottage. If you are part of the shared transport – they will drop you off and pick you up.
- Personal or additional travel on the shared transport.
- Any expenses of a personal nature.
What is included?
- Olympus Mirrorless Cameras and Lenses to try.
- Sigma Art, Zoom, Sport and Macro lenses with both a Nikon and Canon Mount to try.
- Neutral density and polarising filters to learn to use and to try.
- Access to a basic medical aid kit.
How do I book?
Simply click on the ‘BOOKINGS & ENQUIRIES’ button towards the top of the page. There are drop-downs that prompt you to tell us which accommodation requirements you need and if you would like to share transport . You will then receive an email with all of the relevant details.
What if I have a question?
- Call or WhatsApp Leanne on 083 293 7208.
- Email Jeanne at email@example.com.
What should I wear or bring?
- Comfortable clothing and walking shoes are recommended.
- A second pair as we will be photographing in the dew and near water.
- Warm jackets and windbreakers/rain jackets.
- Head torches for night time photography.
How fit do I need to be?
You need to be able to walk short distances with your camera equipment.
What if I have to cancel?
On the photography instruction:
- Cancellations within 1 month of the tour: No refund will be issued.
- Cancellations more than 1 month before the tour: 50% refund will be issued on any monies paid to date.
On the Accommodation and transport:
Once these have been paid they are non-refundable. However the logistics and management team will do their best to find someone to ‘buy’ your accommodation from you.
The logistics and management fee:
This fee covers all of your bookings and logistics and is only payable once you have confirmed. Therefore, if you have to cancel once it has been paid, its non-refundable as the work for your booking would have been done.
What if thephotowalkers.com has to cancel?
In the event that thephotowalkers.com has to cancel the tour for any reason whatsoever, a full refund will be issued on all expenses paid to date.
By booking this Photo-Tour, you agree to be bound by thephotowalkers.com indemnity terms and conditions. thephotowalkers.com, its staff, employees, suppliers and partners will not be held responsible for loss, injury, death or damage including consequential loss of any nature whatsoever while on the tour, in the shared transport, in the accommodation or during an activity. By booking this tour, you understand and accept this. thephotowalkers.com will do their best to avoid any circumstances that may lead to the above.
Intellectual Property and Confidentiality:
By booking this tour, you understand, accept and agree that any information given as well as any service providers, locations, workshops, partners, techniques or any part of the tour whatsoever is the Intellectual Property of The Photowalkers (t/a thephotowalkers.com).