Walking in Spain (05-15 May 2022)
Walking in Spain is a wonderful experience that allows you to discover the country’s beautiful landscapes, its remote villages, and tasty regional cuisines.
Grab your walking shoes and join us on this unique journey, in the mountains in Spain! Each day while walking you will begin with a hearty breakfast in a 15th century farmhouse, which has been lovingly restored into a beautiful rural hotel – your home away from home for this wonderful tour. We will also be staying in a historic town and at the beach.
SOLO TRAVELLERS ARE WELCOME: We have managed to keep the Solo Rate at just 20%
WALKERS: If you don’t want to do the full distance everyday there is a support vehicle that will pick you up and drop you at the final meeting point (often a village that you can explore) or back at the farm house. You can do as much as you would like to!
05-15 May 2022
- Early booking is advisable to avoid disappointment.
- There is a minimum of 8 people and a maximum of 16. The closing date for this tour is 29 July.
- See below for deposit details to secure as well as price and payment terms.
During the hikes you will have an experienced Spanish guide who will teach you about the area and show you around all the local villages that we stop in.
Who is the tour aimed at?
- Foodies: People who are interested in Spanish food and wine. We visit small villages with markets and local restaurants and enjoy a cooking class.
- Lovers of Culture and History: On this tour you will visit small villages and learn about the history of each one and get to know and understand the culture.
- *Photographers: All skill levels. Anyone requiring some guidance on how to take better photos while travelling!
- Solo Travelers and travel partners/friends.
- Anyone looking for a fun and inspiring adventure.
- Walkers: People who love walking!
PLEASE NOTE: Spain is famous for: Paella, tacos, flamenco dancing, sangria, siestas, wine, beaches, mountains, its people and so much more.
*At every stop you will feel compelled to photograph Italy so you can take the memories home. Leanne is there to help you take the best photos that you can with whatever camera you have, ranging from a cell phone right through to a Pro Camera. Leanne is fluent in the mechanics in all makes of camera and phones and has many years experience as a professional photographer.
This is an optional service and she will help you at any level that you would like.
Itinerary and Travel Details:
5th of May: (Day of arrival). Arrive in Oviedo in the morning. There is an airport near Oviedo (OVD) with regular flights from Madrid, Barcelona, and other points in Spain and Europe. There are international flights from London and Paris. For train travel information within Spain, visit: www.renfe.es. For bus service, visit: www.alsa.es.
Our team will meet you and take you to the old part of town to check in to your hotel and the day will be spent exploring, visiting the sights or just taking it all in from one of the many cafes that line the streets of this medieval university town. After a delicious lunch of tapas in one of the local sidrarias (cider bars) we will meet a tour guide who will take us on a visit of the city’s monuments. Welcome dinner.
“…a delicious, exotic, beautiful, clean, pleasant, tranquil and pedestrianised city, like it didn’t belong to this world, like it didn’t exist…Oviedo is like a fairy tale” – Woody Allen
6th of May: Breakfast at Hotel, check out and then a visit to the El Mercado de Fonton (market). The streets in el casco antiguo are packed with stands of fresh fruits, homemade cheeses, handcrafted goods and an assortment of everyday items, new and old. We then continue exploring Oviedo and have a late lunch. In the afternoon we will be collected at the bus station by the owners of our rural hotel and we will then head south through the river valley basin in the Mountains. There we will walk along a trail to our hotel. It is set on a hillside of this lovely, green valley. The walk is about 5kms and we will check in and have dinner.
7th of May: A narrow footpath out the back door of our rural hotel will be the start of our morning on a walking trail of 5-10 kms. Along the way, we will explore three grain mills, each one over 200 years old. After lunch we will explore the surrounding villages. Breakfast and dinner included.
8th of May: Today we will follow a path to a small town. From there, a drive to the top of a pass will reveal spectacular views. From the top of the pass, it is all downhill. 15-20kms walking. Breakfast included.
NB: If you don’t want to do the full distance everyday there is a support vehicle that will assist you.
9th of May: A 45 minute drive will take us into the heart of a National Park, a seldom visited park. The complete isolation of this area makes it seem as if time were actually standing still. This area was declared a natural park in 1988 due to its diverse landscape of flora and fauna and it is recognised today as a wildlife reserve for its environmental variety and preservation of tradition. We will explore one of the many mountain trails. 15 kms walking. Breakfast and dinner included.
10th of May: A free day. Spend time relaxing in the Rural Hotel going through photos, doing some yoga, or catch a cab to a small surrounding town for lunch, exploring and shopping. Breakfast and dinner included. No allocated walking.
11th of May: Drive to a small town and follow a route up and into a gorge. Climbing steadily, a well-planned path hugging the sides of this canyon will take us up to a hamlet where we’ll feast on a lunch of the famous Asturian bean stew, Fabada. After a short siesta under a tree we’ll follow another path that leads us back to the start of this trail. 12 kms walking. Breakfast included.
12th of May: Drive to a hamlet famous for its decorative horreos (corn cribs), we will set out on an adventure through the mountains to a small village. Breakfast included.
13th & 14th of May: Check out after breakfast and return to Oviedo. We will head to our next destination on the coast.
During these two days we will explore, relax, walk, take photos, and get to know Spain’s coast a bit.
15th of May: Check out and return to Ovideo Airport. We will be at the airport by 12h00. Please make sure that your flights to your next destination our allow adequate time at the airport. Should you wish to continue your tour, flights to major cities in Spain, Portugal, France and most European destinations are easy.
Please note: This itinerary may change due to weather, festivals, spontaneous side trips and group ability.
Q & A for the Walking:
What is the terrain like?
There will be some long, slow climbs through farming areas but not Himalayan or Rocky Mountain like terrain. The paths are well worn and are not difficult. We walk along a lot of secondary farming roads, through forests of chestnuts, hazelnuts and apple orchards. We cover between 10 and 15 kms per day. Hiking boots/trail shoes are an essential. Please be sure your boots are well broken in.
What if I get tired?
We have the luxury of a fully supported van, which can pick you up at certain points on many of the scheduled walking trails. We will try to provide an optional hike if you feel that the hiking in the hills maybe too difficult. This is not an endurance race; we want you to have a great time and take time to absorb the beauty of the area and photograph it. We encourage people to ride in the van if feeling fatigued or to walk more miles if they have the energy or simply to kick back at the hotel with a good book if you feel so inclined. There is also a pilates/yoga room at the hotel for stretching and relaxing.
What does the tour cost?
Please use the Currency Convertor to find the price in your currency from USD.
Please note there is limited single accommodation. There are twin rooms available so if you are happy to share we will match you with someone similar in the group.
What is included?
- Airport transfers and all transport around the itinerary during the tour.
- Night of 6th:
- Accommodation in a 3 Star hotel including breakfast.
- Nights 6th-13th:
- Accommodation in a restored farmhouse. All bedrooms have private bathrooms, TVs, phones and either a balcony or patio. There are double rooms and twin rooms – with either a village or a mountain view. Wifi is available. Use of multimedia room (living room) with a grand selection of international movies. Daily cleaning service (bedrooms).
- Wholesome and complete breakfasts every day.
- Gourmet vegetarian dinners with wine for 5 nights.
- Welcome dinner.
- 2 Spanish cooking classes.
- Use of the yoga room and all props (blankets, belts, blocks, eye-bags….).
- Daily guided hikes with bilingual guides.
- Night 13th and 14th:
- Accommodation in a 3 Star hotel including breakfast.
- Photography instruction and guidance on all makes of cameras and cell phones by Leanne Dryburgh.
- Massage (around 50 Euros for an hour).
- Laundry (10 Euros a load).
- Rental bikes (12 Euros a day).
- A couple of our bookings have indicated that they would like to go before or after and explore some of Spains other cities – so there are add-on options which we will discuss between all confirmed bookings.
What is excluded?
- International flights and busses to the start of the tour and the end of the tour.
- City taxes.
- All lunches. While hiking we will stop at markets and get picnic supplies or stop at a restaurant for lunch.
- All dinners not listed above.
- All entrance fees into museums and other places of interest.
- Any incidents or additional activities of a personal nature.
- Emergency evacuation or transport out of the itinerary.
- Travel insurance (compulsory), equipment insurance and medical insurance.
Do I need travel insurance?
Adequate travel insurance is compulsory for this tour.
- Make sure that you have comprehensive travel insurance that covers thephotowalkers.com cancellation policies (see below) and your international flight’s cancellation policies (ask your airline when booking).
- We recommend that you have your camera gear and laptop insured for damage and loss. thephotowalkers.com will not be held liable for any loss or damage under any circumstances.
How do I book?
Simply click on the ‘BOOKINGS & ENQUIRIES’ button towards the top of the page. There are drop-downs that prompt you to tell us which accommodation requirements you need and if you would like to share the transport. You will then receive an email with all of the relevant details.
What if I have a question?
- Call or WhatsApp Leanne on 083 293 7208.
- Email Jeanne at email@example.com.
Do I need Passports, Visas, Medical Aid, Cash and Vaccinations?
- All visitors must have a passport that is valid for at least six months.
- Please check if your country and require a Schengen Visa. The link for South Africans is:http://www.conscapetown.esteri.it/Consolato_Capetown/en/per-chi-si-reca-in-italia/
- Please bring EUROS or US DOLLARS with you to use or change at travel desks. Make sure you let your bank know that you are taking your card overseas to use or bring a travel wallet.
- Ensure your Medical Aid knows that you are travelling abroad.
- As far as we are aware – no vaccinations are required for Spain.
- Head torches for the evenings.
What should I wear or bring?
- We are visiting Spain in Autumn! This will be great hiking weather. So warm during the day and cool in the evenings.
- Swimming costumes for the beach days.
- Comfortable walking shoes are a must as well as a comfortable backpack for the cities.
- Your own basic medical aid kits and any medications that you require.
- Sensible, worn in hiking boots and socks.
- Yoga or pilates clothing if you would like to make use of the facilities at the Farm House.
- Computers and reading material for relaxation.
- A huge sense of adventure and the knowledge that you are going to hike, eat, love, listen to, feel, drink, experience, cook, photograph and totally soak up SPAIN!
How fit do I need to be?
- A good walking level of fitness is required to enable you to enjoy the daily hikes and carry your backpack. There is a back up vehicle at certain points each day.
- Should you suffer from any chronic medical conditions, we recommend that you get a full medical clearance before committing to this tour.
Duty Free Allowance:
- Alcoholic liquors or wines up to 1 liter of alcohol over 22% proof and 2 liter with a lower alcohol content; 50 g of perfume and 0.25 litres of eau de toilette.
- 200 cigarettes or 100 cigarillos (max. 3 grams each) or 50 cigars or 250g of tobacco.
What if I need to cancel?
- Cancellations within 3 months of the tour: No refund will be issued.
- Cancellations more than 3 months before the tour: 50% refund will be issued on any monies paid to date – less any expenses incurred – including accommodation and transport.
What if thephotowalkers.com has to cancel?
In the event that thephotowalkers.com has to cancel the tour for any reason whatsoever, a full refund will be issued on all expenses paid to date.
Although every possible care is taken to safeguard you and your property, no company involved in this tour accepts responsibility for any accident, injury, illness or death incurred during or arising from any tour, or loss or damage to clients property during a tour. We strongly advise you take out Good Travel Insurance for yourself and your property before the start of the tour.
No company involved will be held responsible for any expenses or loss of tour days resulting from changes in flight schedules, delays or loss of baggage by international air carriers or local air charter companies.
By booking this Photo-Tour, you agree to be bound by thephotowalkers.com indemnity terms and conditions. thephotowalkers.com, it’s staff, employees, suppliers and partners will not be held responsible for loss, injury, death or damage including consequential loss of any nature whatsoever while on the tour, in the shared transport, in the accommodation or during an activity. By booking this tour, you understand and accept this. thephotowalkers.com will do their best to avoid any circumstances that may lead to the above.
Intellectual Property and Confidentiality:
By booking this tour, you understand, accept and agree that any information given as well as any service providers, locations, workshops, partners, techniques or any part of the tour whatsoever is the Intellectual Property of The Photowalkers (t/a thephotowalkers.com).