Arniston & Overberg (05 -09 August 2021)
Discover the immense beauty of the Southernmost coastline of Africa – through its history and culture of fishing, farming, forests and Southern Right Whales
On this Photo-tour you will explore Struisbaai, Arniston, Elim, Malgas, Hermanus, Greyton, Barrydale, Witsand and Suurbrak. You will be taking in the beauty and incredible history of the area all the while looking for your perfect shot!
This Photo-Tour takes place during The Whale Season and you are bound to see the famous Southern Right Whales.
With many years of experience behind the lens, and an intimate knowledge of the area, our photographers are able to offer photo-tours that are in a league of their own. Come Join Us!
SOLO TRAVELERS ARE WELCOME
05 -09 August 2021.
THIS TOUR TAKES PLACE OVER A LONG WEEKEND
Early booking is advisable to avoid disappointment.
- The first day of each tour is a travel day only with a ‘meet and greet’ dinner that evening.
- There are four days of eight hours on average of photography instruction.
- The tour ends at 14h00 on the final day – but with the late nights and early mornings of the first three days – this time is made up.
What is offered photographically?
A detailed itinerary is sent to all secured bookings closer to the start date of the tour.
- A variety of seascapes at different times and moods
- Composition on the Arniston Fishing Boats and in Struisbaai Harbour
- Exposure and how to balance light in Manual Mode
- Shutter Speed workshop including how to use a Neutral Density Filter*
- Architecture on the old fisherman’s cottages in Arniston
- Depth of field workshop in the Arniston Harbour
- Portraiture in a private home in Suurbrak
- Learn to photograph into the setting sun at a Donkey Sanctuary
- Understanding how to use a Polarising Filter*
- Night Skies and Painting with light
- Macro on the small discoveries
- Making friends with your tripod and understanding its value to your journey as a photographer
- The importance of good composition using your foreground, middle ground and background.
- How to use long roads as leading lines
- How to handle all different types of light and how it reacts to natural elements such as dust
- Movie night and feedback on images
*we have these filters available for loan and sale on the tour – in all sizes.
Who are the photographic instructors?
- Peter Hassall (National President of SA Pro-Photographers with 35 years experience). Peter Hassall will only join if there are more than 8 bookings
- Leanne Dryburgh (Western Cape Manager of SA Pro-Photographers with 27 years experience).
What photographic skills are required?
Leanne will take the entry level photographers and Peter will take the advanced photographers. You are welcome to swap groups during the tour if you feel you would benefit more from the other group. The groups will be together on excursions.
Who is the Tour aimed at?
- Photography enthusiasts, hobbyist and travel photographers.
- Students studying Visual Art, any form of Media, videography or photography and who require an internship or portfolio.
- Solo travellers wanting to have an experience in a safe and fun environment.
- Couples wanting to explore a hobby together.
Are partners and non-photographers welcome?
Yes at the same price as photographers.
How many photographers do you take?
- A minimum of ten and maximum of twenty photographers per tour.
- As there are 2 photographers instructing so you will be in a group of between 5 and 10 photographers only throughout the tour.
Where does the Photo-Tour take place?
This tour takes place on the Overberg and we stay in Arniston and Greyton and travel from there to the others towns on day trips.
If you have not been on A Whale Watching Boat in Walker Bay, Hermanus – we highly recommend you do! A Photographer will join the trip and help you with your settings and get you prime position on the boat.
What does the tour cost?
1) Photography instruction:
The full price of the tour is R5500.00 (An average of R1375.00 per day for the photography instruction on a large variety of canvasses – with Accredited Pro Photographer/s).
An average of 8-10 hours of instruction is given each day.
- Take off 10% if you have been on a Photo-Tour with thephotowalkers.com before or have completed a Challenge. *No discounts apply while a promotional offer is running.
- Take off 5% if you are an active club member of the PSSA.
These discounts do not apply if any specials are running.
There are 2 options for accommodation – in each town :
- Self catering in an old fishing cottage in Kassiesbaai: R500.00 per person per night.
- Bed and breakfast at the Arniston Hotel: From R850.00 per person (depending on single or sharing and type of room available).
- Self catering: R600.00 per person per night.
- Bed and breakfast: From R750.00 per person (depending on single or sharing and type of room available).
The shared transport will be travelling to Arniston on the 4th of August – departing from Hermanus at 15h00. If you are flying into CT International – please land by 10h00 the latest on the 4th as that is the time that the airport transfer will be doing the pick up. You will be taken to Hermanus where your luggage will be looked after and you can enjoy a lunch on the waters edge and probably enjoy some whale watching.
Should you be self driving you are welcome to join travel on the 5th or on time for the first workshop on the 5th of August.
The first workshop starts on the morning on the 6th of August at 07h00, which will be composition on the coloured fishing boats departing Arniston Harbour.
- We offer shared transport which includes a quantum (or similar) with driver who has a PDP licence. Should it be necessary, the driver will help with your bags too.
- Shared transport allows for photography chit chat and is by far the nicer way to take the tour.
Full shared transport: R1950.00 per person. (Based on 8 people sharing)
- Thursday 05 August: (additional travel day)
- Pick up at CT International Airport 12h00
- Depart from Hermanus 15h00
- Monday 09 August:
- We will be back in Hermanus at 12h00 (Whale Boat trip 12h00-14h00 or Whale Walk)
- Drop off at CT International by 17h00
- Tuesday 10 August:
- Whale Boat trip 09h00-11h00
- Drop off at CT International by 14h00
Half shared transport: R950.00 per person. (Based on 8 people sharing)
- Includes transport during the tour (so self drive to the towns and leave your car there and join the ‘photography bus’ on the day trips)
You are welcome to self drive.
4) Optional extras:
- Whale Boat Trip: R900.00 per person.
- Kassiesbaai dinner: R250.00 per person. (A wonderful all inclusive dinner with the local fishing community in their home. Enjoy the freshest ‘catch of the day’ and listen to their stories).
- We visit a Donkey Sanctuary for a portrait workshop. Donations are welcomed.
5) Logistics and Management Fee: R500.00 per person
We outsource a company that co-ordinates all booking details, dietary requirements, activities etc. to create a photography experience that is exciting, interesting and hassle free!
We will refund you the R1000.00 deposit which secures each place 10 weeks before the tour – when the second payment is due. (See **Payments below).
Price and Payment Policy:
The full price of tour is R5500.00 (An average of R1375.00 per day for the photography instruction from dusk to dawn – on a large variety of canvasses – with Accredited Pro Photographer/s ).
There is one free travel day before the tour.
What is excluded?
- Camera equipment.
- A tripod is essential (you are welcome to hire one for the weekend at R200.00).
- The optional extras (Whale Boat trip, Kassiesbaai dinner and donation to the Donkey Sanctuary).
- Meals (other than breakfast if your accommodation offers it) and refreshments.
- Personal or additional travel on the shared transport.
- Any expenses of a personal nature.
What is included?
- Tea, coffee, sugar etc. will be supplied by thephotowalkers.com to everyone staying in self catering.
- Olympus Mirrorless Cameras and Lenses to try.
- Sigma Art, Zoom, Sport and Macro lenses with both a Nikon and Canon Mount to try.
- Neutral density and polarising filters to learn to use and to try.
- Access to a basic medical aid kit.
How do I book?
Simply click on the ‘BOOKINGS & ENQUIRIES’ button towards the top of the page. There are drop-downs that prompt you to tell us what accommodation requirements you require and if you would like to share transport . You will then receive an email with all of the relevant details.
What if I have a question?
- Call or WhatsApp Leanne on 083 293 7208.
- Email Jeanne at firstname.lastname@example.org.
What should I wear or bring?
- Comfortable clothing and walking shoes are recommended.
- A second pair as we will be photographing in the dew and on the beach.
- Warm jackets and windbreakers/rain jackets.
- Head torches for night time photography.
How fit do I need to be?
You need to be able to walk short distances with your camera equipment.
What if I have to cancel?
On the photography instruction:
- Cancellations within 1 month of the tour: No refund will be issued.
- Cancellations more than 1 month before the tour: 50% refund will be issued on any monies paid to date.
On the Accommodation and the Transport:
Once these have been paid they are non-refundable. However the logistics and management team will do their best to find someone to ‘buy’ your accommodation from you.
The logistics and management fee:
This fee covers all of your bookings and logistics and is only payable once you have confirmed. Therefore if you have to cancel once it has been paid – it is non-refundable as the work for your booking would have been done.
What if thephotowalkers.com has to cancel?
In the event that thephotowalkers.com has to cancel the tour for any reason whatsoever, a full refund will be issued on all expenses paid to date.
By booking this Photo-Tour, you agree to be bound by thephotowalkers.com indemnity terms and conditions. thephotowalkers.com, its staff, employees, suppliers and partners will not be held responsible for loss, injury, death or damage including consequential loss of any nature whatsoever while on the tour, in the shared transport, in the accommodation or during an activity. By booking this tour, you understand and accept this. thephotowalkers.com will do their best to avoid any circumstances that may lead to the above.
Intellectual Property and Confidentiality:
By booking this tour you understand, accept and agree that any information given as well as any service providers, locations, workshops, partners, techniques or any part of the tour whatsoever is the Intellectual Property of The Photowalkers (t/a thephotowalkers.com).