The Eastern Free State (08 – 12 April 2021)
This has to be one of the most magnificent photographic canvases in S.A.
Come Join Us!
On this Photo-tour you will explore Clarens, Rosendal, Ficksburg and Fouriesburg while travelling through the magnificent Eastern Free State in Autumn as the Poplars turn yellow against the electric blue sky – all while improving your photographic skills.
This is our sixth trip exploring The Eastern Free State and it is one of thephotowalkers.com photographers favourites.
SOLO TRAVELERS ARE WELCOME
08 – 12 April 2021 (Travel days are the 8th and 12th. Tour days are the 9th, 10th and 11th)
What is offered photographically?
A detailed itinerary is sent to all secured bookings closer to the start date of the tour.
- A thorough check of your camera and settings – including setup.
- Exposure and how to balance light in Manual Mode.
- Understanding white balance, picture style and ISO.
- Landscape photography teaching you how to include a foreground, middle ground.
- Shutter Speed workshop on galloping horses.
- Master the art of panning.
- How to focus across your focal plane and through your focal plane.
- How to see a shot – and then stop and shoot it along the back roads.
- Understanding how to use a Polarising Filter* and when to use it.
- Shutter Speed workshop with Neutral Density Filter*.
- Architecture in a deserted town that has a population fewer than 50 residents.
- Understanding aperture and depth of field around the farm.
- Portrait photography in a unique environment.
- Street photography through Shanti.
- Night skies and painting with light.
- Macro in the fields.
- Parallel lines and leading lines – how to use them to create depth.
- Making friends with your tripod and understanding its value to your journey as a photographer.
- Understanding when a photo is a colour photo and when a photo is a black and white photo.
- How to handle all different types of light and how it reacts to natural elements such as dust.
- Movie night and feedback on images.
- A complete camera set up.
- A look at your gear and advise (if needed).
*we have these filters available for loan and sale on the tour – in all sizes.
Who are the photographic instructors?
- Peter Hassall (National President of SA Pro-Photographers with 35 years experience).
- Leanne Dryburgh (Western Cape Manager of SA Pro-Photographers with 27 years experience).
What photographic skills are required?
Leanne will take the entry level photographers and Peter will take the advanced photographers. You are welcome to swap groups during the tour if you feel you would benefit more from the other group. The groups will be together on excursions.
Who is the Tour aimed at?
- Photography enthusiasts, hobbyist and travel photographers.
- Students studying Visual Art, any form of Media, videography or photography and/or who require an internship or portfolio.
- Solo travellers who want to have an experience in a safe and fun environment.
- Couples who want to explore a hobby together.
Are partners and non-photographers welcome?
Yes at the same price as photographers.
How many photographers do you take?
- A minimum of ten and maximum of twenty photographers per tour.
- As there are 2 photographers instructing so you will be in a group of between 5 and 10 photographers only throughout the tour.
What if you don’t reach the minimum number?
We will refund you the R1000.00 deposit that secures each place 10 weeks before the tour – when the second payment is due. (See **Payments below).
Where does the Photo-Tour take place?
The tour takes place on a farm approximately 3.5 hours from Johannesburg, 5 hours from Durban and 2 hours from Bloemfontein. The exact location is given to all secured places.
What does the tour cost?
1) Photography instruction:
The full price of the tour is R5500.00 (An average of R1375.00 per day for the photography instruction on a large variety of canvasses – with Accredited Pro Photographer/s).
An average of 8-10 hours of instruction is given each day.
- Take off 10% if you have been on a Photo-Tour with thephotowalkers.com before or have completed a 52 Week Challenge. No discounts apply while a promotional offer is running.
- Take off 5% if you are an active club member of the PSSA. No discounts apply while a promotional offer is running.
2) Accommodation and meals:
There are 3 options for accommodation – all include breakfast and dinner:
Cosy Rooms: SOLD OUT
Classic Rooms: All have doors leading outside and part of the main building. 2 rooms left
- Single supplement R1580.00 per person per night.
- Per person sharing R1110.00 per person per night.
Luxury Rooms: In a separate building with space and beautiful views. 3 rooms left
- Single supplement R1720.00 per person per night
- Per person sharing R1250.00 per person per night
- We offer shared transport which includes a quantum (or similar) with a driver who has a PDP licence. Should it be necessary, the driver will help with your bags too.
- Shared transport allows for photography chit chat and is by far the nicer way to take the tour.
Full shared transport: R1950.00 per person. (Based on 8 people sharing)
- Day one: (additional travel day)
- Meet at 14h00 at the Rosebank Gautrain Station for pick up
- Final day:
- We will be back at the Rosebank Gautrain Station at around 17h00
Half shared transport: R950.00 per person. (Based on 8 people sharing)
- Includes transport during the tour from the farm (so self drive to the farm and leave your car there for the duration of the tour)
You are welcome to self drive.
4) Logistics and Management Fee: R500.00 per person
We outsource a company that co-ordinates all booking details, dietary requirements, activities etc to create a photography experience that is exciting, interesting and hassle free!
Price and Payment Policy:
The full price of tour is R5500.00 (An average of R1375.00 per day for the photography instruction from dusk to dawn – on a large variety of canvasses – with Accredited Pro Photographer/s ).
There is one free travel day before the tour.
What is excluded?
- Camera equipment.
- A tripod is essential (you are welcome to hire one for the weekend at R200.00).
- Photography activities. (This list will be given to all confirmed participants – they are an optional extra).
- Lunches – all refreshments, beverages and snacks. (Accommodation includes breakfast and dinner)
- Personal or additional travel on the shared transport.
- Any expenses of a personal nature.
What is included?
- Olympus Mirrorless Cameras and Lenses to try.
- Sigma Art, Zoom, Sport and Macro lenses with both a Nikon and Canon Mount to try.
- Neutral density and polarising filters to learn to use and to try.
- Access to a basic medical aid kit.
How do I book?
Simply click on the ‘BOOKINGS & ENQUIRIES’ button towards the top of the page. There are drop-downs that prompt you to tell us what accommodation requirements you require and if you would like to share transport . You will then receive an email with all of the relevant details.
What if I have a question?
- Call or WhatsApp Leanne on 083 293 7208.
- Email Jeanne at firstname.lastname@example.org.
What should I wear or bring?
- Comfortable clothing and walking shoes are recommended.
- A second pair as we will be photographing in the dew and near water.
- Warm jackets and windbreakers/rain jackets.
- Head torches for night time photography.
How fit do I need to be?
You need to be able to walk short distances with your camera equipment.
What if I have to cancel?
On the photography instruction:
- Cancellations within 1 month of the tour: No refund will be issued.
- Cancellations more than 1 month before the tour: 50% refund will be issued on any monies paid to date.
On the accommodation and the transport:
Once these have been paid they are non-refundable. However the logistics and management team will do their best to find someone to ‘buy’ your accommodation from you.
The logistics and management fee:
This fee covers all of your bookings and logistics and is only payable once you have confirmed. Therefore, if you have to cancel once it has been paid, it’s non-refundable as the work for your booking would have been done.
What if thephotowalkers.com has to cancel?
In the event that thephotowalkers.com has to cancel the tour for any reason whatsoever, a full refund will be issued on all expenses paid to date.
By booking this Photo-Tour, you agree to be bound by thephotowalkers.com indemnity terms and conditions. thephotowalkers.com, its staff, employees, suppliers and partners will not be held responsible for loss, injury, death or damage including consequential loss of any nature whatsoever while on the tour, in the shared transport, in the accommodation or during an activity. By booking this tour you understand and accept this. thephotowalkers.com will do their best to avoid any circumstances that may lead to the above.
Intellectual Property and Confidentiality:
By booking this tour you understand, accept and agree that any information given as well as any service providers, locations, workshops, partners, techniques or any part of the tour whatsoever is the Intellectual Property of The Photowalkers (t/a thephotowalkers.com).