Walking in Spain
(12-20 May 2023)
Walking in Spain is a wonderful experience that allows you to discover the country’s beautiful landscapes, its remote villages, and tasty regional cuisines.
Grab your walking shoes and join us on this unique journey, in the mountains of Spain. Each day while walking you will begin with a hearty breakfast in a 15th century farmhouse, which has been lovingly restored into a beautiful rural hotel – our home away from home for this wonderful tour.
We will also spend a night in the historic town of Oviedo
SOLO TRAVELLERS ARE WELCOME:
WALKERS: If you don’t want to do the full distance everyday there is a support vehicle that will pick you up and drop you at the final meeting point (often a village that you can explore) or back at the farm house.
You can walk as far as you would like to!
12-20 May 2023
- Early booking is advisable to avoid disappointment, as there are limited places.
- The closing date for this tour is 10 March 2023.
- See below for deposit details to secure, as well as price and payment terms.
During the hikes you will have an experienced Spanish guide who will teach you about the area and show you around all the local villages that we stop in. All of the guides are fully bilingual.
Who is the tour aimed at?
- Foodies: People who are interested in Spanish food and wine. We visit small villages with markets and local restaurants and enjoy a cooking class.
- Walkers / hikers: People who love walking
- Lovers of Culture and History: On this tour you will visit small villages and learn about the history of each one and get to know and understand the culture
- Photographers: Anyone requiring some guidance on how to take better photos while travelling, either on their cell phone or camera
- Nature lovers and explorers: Everyone looking to explore an entirely unique area
- Solo Travellers and travel partners/friends
- Anyone looking for a fun and inspiring adventure
Itinerary and Travel Details:
12th of May:
Arrive in Oviedo in the morning. There is an airport near Oviedo (OVD) with regular flights from Madrid, Barcelona, and other points in Spain and Europe. There are international flights from London and Paris. For train travel information within Spain, visit: www.renfe.es. For bus service, visit: www.alsa.es.
Our team will meet you at the booked accommodation at 15h00 to explore the old part of town, visiting the sights or just taking it all in from one of the many cafes that line the streets of this medieval university town. We can enjoy a delicious lunch of tapas in one of the local sidrarias (cider bars).
“…a delicious, exotic, beautiful, clean, pleasant, tranquil and pedestrianised city, like it didn’t belong to this world, like it didn’t exist…Oviedo is like a fairy tale” – Woody Allen
13th of May:
Breakfast at Hotel, check out and then a visit to the El Mercado de Fonton (market). The streets in el casco antiguo are packed with stands of fresh fruits, homemade cheeses, handcrafted goods and an assortment of everyday items, new and old. We then continue exploring Oviedo and have a late lunch. In the afternoon we will be collected at the bus station by the owners of our hotel and we will then head south through the river valley basin in the mountains.
14th-19th of May:
Discover the environment on foot with daily guided hiking and exploring in Northern Spain. Unpack, unwind and relish in the comforts of the home each morning and night, while enjoying the extensive mountain trails of Asturias every day. Situated in a small rural hamlet, inside the Ubiñas La Mesa Natural Park, there is a large selection of routes, many of which leave right from our back door. Whatever your level, ability or desires there are trails to suit you.
As with any great vacation, food is an integral part of what we offer you. A hearty breakfast, freshly prepared will set you up for your day’s activities. Pack your small daypack and away we go! We will follow gentle hiking trails along footpaths and ancient trade routes, through narrow canyons, over mountain passes, and into wildlife reserves. Surrounded by dramatic peaks, deep gorges, and crystal clear rivers, there is nowhere better to breathe in the pure mountain air and stretch your limbs, than right here.
Hiking between 12-20 kilometres each day (distances can change to individuals / groups ability), one will find solitude in Spain’s natural spaces and inspiration in its untainted villages and rural architecture, where it feels like we have stepped back in time.
After a day of trekking, we’ll unwind with a glass of delicious locally made wine and dine on traditional fair using local ingredients and produce from their bountiful organic garden. Let us share with you how best to make paella, tortilla de patata or our secret recipe for sopa de ajo (garlic soup).
20th of May:
Check out after breakfast and return to Oviedo. You will be there by 10h00. Please book your departing flights accordingly.
Q & A for the Walking:
What is the terrain like?
There will be some long, slow climbs through farming areas but not Himalayan or Rocky Mountain like terrain. The paths are well worn and are not difficult. We walk along a lot of secondary farming roads, through forests of chestnuts, hazelnuts and apple orchards. Hiking boots/trail shoes are an essential. Please be sure your boots are well broken in.
What if I get tired?
We have the luxury of a fully supported van, which can pick you up at certain points on many of the scheduled walking trails. We will try to provide an optional hike if you feel that the hiking in the hills maybe too difficult. This is not an endurance race; we want you to have a great time and take time to absorb the beauty of the area and photograph it. We encourage people to ride in the van if feeling fatigued or to walk more miles if they have the energy or simply to kick back at the hotel with a good book if you feel so inclined. There is also a pilates/yoga room at the hotel for stretching and relaxing.
What does the tour cost?
Please use the Currency Convertor to find the price in your currency from Euro:
Please note there is limited single accommodation in private rooms. There are twin rooms available so if you are happy to share we will match you with someone similar in the group.
What is included?
12th of May.
- Bed and breakfast accommodation in Oviedo.
13th – 20th of May:
- Accommodation in a restored farmhouse. All bedrooms have private bathrooms, TVs, phones and either a balcony or patio. There are double rooms and twin rooms – with either a village or a mountain view. Wifi is available. Use of multimedia room (living room) with a grand selection of international movies. Daily cleaning service (bedrooms).
- Wholesome and complete breakfasts every day.
- Two cooking demonstrations / classes
- Gourmet vegetarian dinners with wine for 5 nights. (fish, chicken and meat dinners available on request)
- Use of the yoga room and all props (blankets, belts, blocks, eye-bags….).
- Daily guided hikes with bilingual guides who will share with you the history and culture of the local people, mountains and sea.
- Photography guidance on all makes of cameras and cell phones, allowing you to take home the best photos that you can.
What is excluded?
- International and national flights
- Transport, meals, refreshments, entrance fees, guides and entertainment in Ovideo
- City taxes.
- All lunches. While hiking we will stop at markets and get picnic supplies or stop at a restaurant for lunch.
- Any incidents or additional activities of a personal nature.
- Emergency evacuation or transport out of the itinerary.
- Travel insurance (compulsory), equipment insurance and medical insurance.
- Massage (around 50 Euros for an hour).
- Laundry (15 Euros a load).
- Rental bikes (25 Euros a day – group trips only).
- Horse back riding (30 Euros for two hours – group trips only)
Do I need travel insurance?
Adequate travel insurance is compulsory for this tour.
- Make sure that you have comprehensive travel insurance that covers thephotowalkers.com cancellation policies (see below) and your international flight’s cancellation policies (ask your airline when booking).
- We recommend that you have your camera gear and laptop insured for damage and loss. thephotowalkers.com will not be held liable for any loss or damage under any circumstances.
How do I book?
Simply click on the ‘BOOKINGS & ENQUIRIES’ button towards the top of the page. There are drop-downs that prompt you to tell us which accommodation requirements you need and if you would like to share the transport. You will then receive an email with all of the relevant details.
What if I have a question?
- Call or WhatsApp Leanne on 083 293 7208.
- Email Leanne at email@example.com or firstname.lastname@example.org
Do I need Passports, Visas, Medical Aid, Cash and Vaccinations?
- All visitors must have a passport that is valid for at least six months.
- Please check if your country and require a Schengen Visa. The link for South Africans is:http://www.conscapetown.esteri.it/Consolato_Capetown/en/per-chi-si-reca-in-italia/
- Please bring EUROS or US DOLLARS with you to use or change at travel desks. Make sure you let your bank know that you are taking your card overseas to use or bring a travel wallet.
- Ensure your Medical Aid knows that you are travelling abroad.
- As far as we are aware – no vaccinations are required for Spain.
- Head torches for the evenings.
What should I wear or bring?
- We are visiting Spain in Autumn! This will be great hiking weather. So warm during the day and cool in the evenings.
- Swimming costumes
- Your own basic medical aid kits and any medications that you require.
- Sensible, worn in hiking boots / walking shoes and socks
- A lightweight daypack.
- Yoga or pilates clothing if you would like to make use of the facilities at the Farm House.
- Computers and reading material for relaxation.
- A huge sense of adventure and the knowledge that you are going to hike, eat, love, listen to, feel, drink, experience, cook, photograph and totally soak up SPAIN!
How fit do I need to be?
- A fair level of walking fitness is required to enable you to enjoy the daily hikes and carry your backpack. There is a back up vehicle at certain points each day.
- Should you suffer from any chronic medical conditions, we recommend that you get a full medical clearance before committing to this tour.
Duty Free Allowance:
- Alcoholic liquors or wines up to 1 litre of alcohol over 22% proof and 2 liter with a lower alcohol content; 50 g of perfume and 0.25 litres of eau de toilette.
- 200 cigarettes or 100 cigarillos (max. 3 grams each) or 50 cigars or 250g of tobacco.
What if I need to cancel?
- Cancellations within 3 months of the tour: No refund will be issued.
- Cancellations more than 3 months before the tour: 50% refund will be issued on any monies paid to date – less any expenses incurred – including accommodation and transport.
What if thephotowalkers.com has to cancel?
In the event that thephotowalkers.com has to cancel the tour for any reason whatsoever, a full refund will be issued on all expenses paid to date.
Although every possible care is taken to safeguard you and your property, no company involved in this tour accepts responsibility for any accident, injury, illness or death incurred during or arising from any tour, or loss or damage to clients property during a tour. We strongly advise you take out Good Travel Insurance for yourself and your property before the start of the tour.
No company involved will be held responsible for any expenses or loss of tour days resulting from changes in flight schedules, delays or loss of baggage by international air carriers or local air charter companies.
By booking this Photo-Tour, you agree to be bound by thephotowalkers.com indemnity terms and conditions. thephotowalkers.com, it’s staff, employees, suppliers and partners will not be held responsible for loss, injury, death or damage including consequential loss of any nature whatsoever while on the tour, in the shared transport, in the accommodation or during an activity. By booking this tour, you understand and accept this. thephotowalkers.com will do their best to avoid any circumstances that may lead to the above.
Intellectual Property and Confidentiality:
By booking this tour, you understand, accept and agree that any information given as well as any service providers, locations, workshops, partners, techniques or any part of the tour whatsoever is the Intellectual Property of The Photowalkers (t/a thephotowalkers.com).